Wednesday, February 8, 2012

I didn't want to do this but...

I am going to at the risk of sounding whiny and complain-y. Here's what's going on:

1. There are rats in Florida. I can't say I thought about it before, but there generally aren't rats in Missouri. Mice, yes, rats, no.  These rats are fine where they are as long as they aren't in my walls. Yes, there are rats in my walls. I hear them at night, which is also fine and something I can live with, until they die. These rats die and leave the worst smell you could ever imagine. The smell of rotting flesh. This smell eked into my closet, and now all of my clothes smell like rotting rat. Solved the problem though, I just moved them into the other closet. Also, rats live in palm trees. Surprise, surprise. Don't look up.

2) Large cockroaches. I believe they call them Palmetto bugs here. However they are just LARGE, hissing cockroaches that somehow find their way in. Today I smashed one on the counter of all places. After screaming bloody murder (yeah I never thought I was one of those girls) I smashed it with my shoe. Then I made a long walk out to the dumpster incase it decided to come back alive.

3) The program here is great. However I feel like I'm doing nothing but busy work, like in highschool. Now I know this was one of every reviewers warnings so I shouldn't have been surprised but I just feel like I'm back in highschool. Along with that comes clique-y girls, standoff-ish boys, and the lack of welcoming clubs. There is no co-mingling in the dorms, and I am not even allowed in the girls dorm because I'm an "off-campus-er". I love the education professors, but everyone else seems to be teaching at a 9th grade level.

4) No one uses their blinker. If you know me, that's enough said about that.

5) I miss my environment. I miss being able to sit in the living room and watch tv/do homework. I miss the hustle and bustle of my house (or anyone for that matter). I'm used to seeing more people (and yes, I do go to club meetings and sit on campus).

6) Doing my practicum here is different because of the different state of the public school systems in Florida. The Sunshine Standards ARE like the MoStep Standard, however it'll take some getting used to.

7) People generally are not friendly. I'm not just saying that. I've spoken with two other freshman girls who agree. People aren't like this any other place than Flagler College. Like I'll introduce myself, and they will not. It's like they don't mean to be rude, but they are. There is also not a place where they post times or locations of clubs. And there are no weekend activities.

8) People don't eat around here. Not like the Carollos do. Also I've had SO MANY people I DON'T KNOW comment on how much I eat. Like at restaurants and when I'm out with Mary's friends.

9) The Hyppo has been closed since I've been here.

10) Someone offered me a job in the theatre and then said "never mind". Not a big deal, just something I would NEVER do to someone. I was greatly upset about it, too.

11) Mold. Moldy school, moldy houses, moldy buildings, moldy air. If there is not mold however, there are wildfires--yay lungs!

12) No snow.

13) Sand in your car.

Things I love about Flagler College

1) St. Augustine is really beautiful. I love driving over Valano bridge and seeing all of Anastasia island.

2) I love giving tourists directions.

3) It's pretty.

4) We get to have class outside in the middle of February.

5) No snow.

6) I like being independent.

7) Walking to class is exercise.

8) Mary and Pete

9) The beach is wonderful. Just awesome.

I only did this for myself. I probably shouldn't post it. It's just me being whiny and I am SO LUCKY to be here, to be alive and have this opportunity. I am perfectly fine with staying here the semester, but there are just good days and bad days. For everyone. Obviously the dislikes outweigh the likes so there are more bad days than good. This is making me tough though. I have no regrets. Life is too short to regret. "Be proud of the things we are ashamed of".

Love you all, I'll see you in 70 days.

Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment